John August Grenzig Sr.
John August Grenzig Sr. (36) came to the USA with his family on the ship Westphalia from Hamburg, Germany to NYC and arrived on June 9, 1870. His wife Sophie Carolina Zander, (34) and three children, John August Grenzig, Jr. (6), Helena Sophie Grenzig (2), and Robert Grenzig (6 months) made up this family. Unfortunately Robert died 7 years later.
- Two brothers and one sister, William his younger brother became a gunsmith and a master sheet metal worker.
- Moved from outlying farm areas of Berlin, Germany, to Berlin City to learn the Mason trade with his cousin, Friedrich August Grenzig. abt 1850’s
- Married Sophie Zander: June 15th, 1862 at age 29
- Children: John August Jr., June 1863; Helen, Aug 1867; Robert, Feb 1870
- Immigrated to USA: June 1870, Ship: Westphalia
- Contracted Small Pox abt 1871,72
- Built a 4 Family Home at 25 Starr St., Brooklyn NY, June 1873
- Became a US Citizen, Date Unknown
- Worked as a Mason
- Worked as a Printer for George Monroe Publisher
Walked to work over the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Retired 1888 (age 55) and opened a candy store at 25 Starr St.
- Died: August 12, 1908 age 75
- Buried at Evergreen Cemetery
- 25 Starr St. home was sold – between 1911- 1920
- Sophie , his wife, then moved in with William Klein, her son-in-law.